Escape to Paradise: Unveiling Hotel Mont Gueliz, Marrakech's Hidden Gem
Escape to Paradise: Unveiling Hotel Mont Gueliz, Marrakech's Hidden Gem…or is it? (My Honest Take)
Okay, folks, let's be real. Finding a hotel in Marrakech is like wading through a souk of options – beautiful, overwhelming, and you're bound to get a little lost. So, when I stumbled upon Hotel Mont Gueliz, touted as a "hidden gem," I figured, why not? Let's dive headfirst into this potential oasis and see if it lives up to the hype. Buckle up, because this isn't your typical cookie-cutter review.
First Impressions: The Arrival and the Vibe
The website promised sleek modernity, and honestly? It mostly delivered. The lobby has that "effortlessly chic" vibe, all clean lines and polished surfaces. Accessibility: Good news for my friends with mobility issues – there's an elevator and they claim to have rooms designed for wheelchair users. Accessibility: (Important sidenote: I didn't personally test all the accessible features, so it's always best to call ahead and confirm your specific needs).
Check-in was smooth, which is always a win. They even had contactless check-in/out, which is a definite plus in today's world. The lobby staff were friendly, speaking decent English. Score one for me, since my French… well, let's just say my attempts at "Bonjour" usually elicit blank stares.
Rooms: A Mixed Bag (But Mostly Pleasant)
My room? Pretty darn good. Air conditioning (bless!), a comfy bed with extra-long bed, and a private bathroom with a surprisingly powerful shower. They had complimentary tea and coffee maker (essential for my morning survival), plus the usual suspects: mini bar, in-room safe box, hair dryer, bathrobes, and slippers. The Wi-Fi (free!) was actually reliable, which is a huge win, especially if you're like me and need constant access to the internet to complain about everything.
Here's where the imperfections start creeping in: the room decorations were a little… safe. Think "beige on beige" and you're halfway there. It wasn't bad, just a bit bland. The blackout curtains mostly worked… until that one pesky ray of sunshine decided to be a jerk and peek through around 6 am. (Note to self: pack eye mask.)
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Secure
Okay, this is where Mont Gueliz really shines. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, and rooms sanitized between stays? Yes, please! They clearly take safety very seriously. Hand sanitizers were everywhere. Staff trained in safety protocol. They even had a doctor/nurse on call. I didn't need them (thankfully!), but it's comforting knowing they were there. Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers were present. And, the rooms feature a smoke detector, so they are on top of your safety.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food, Glorious Food (and Potential Pitfalls)
Alright, I’ll admit, the food was one of the biggest draws for me. I'm talking about a la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, buffet in restaurant, coffee/tea in restaurant, desserts in restaurant, international cuisine in restaurant, poolside bar, restaurants, salad in restaurant, soup in restaurant, and vegetarian restaurant!! With all of these options, you can find something you like.
They provide breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Breakfast in room, and Breakfast takeaway service; the food was…decent. The Western breakfast was fine – eggs, pastries, the usual suspects. However, the Asian breakfast did need a little work, in my opinnion. I tried the buffet in restaurant, and the options were pretty standard stuff. If I had to pick a favorite from the food, it would be the coffee/tea in restaurant, where they served, in my opinion, an amazing cup of tea. Bottle of water was provided; it’s nice to have. Their Happy Hour made the day a little nicer, and I was able to enjoy a drink with a friend on their terrace, which brought peace of mind.
The Room service [24-hour] was a lifesaver when I was struck with a late-night craving for… well, I won't bore you with the details. Let's just say it involved a lot of sugar.
Ways to Unwind: The Spa and Beyond
Okay, let's talk about the spa. This is where Mont Gueliz really nails it. Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor], massage. But they really went all out with the spa! I’ve never been treated to a body scrub quite like it. The therapist was amazing, and as she rubbed away the remnants of jet lag and existential dread, I felt myself melting. If you're a fan, a body wrap is offered. There is a foot bath, sauna, and gym/fitness. I highly recommend it.
I ended up spending half a day by the Pool with view. Seriously, that view! You're overlooking a little patch of Marrakech, with the Atlas Mountains in the distance. Pure bliss.
Things to Do: Beyond the Hotel Walls
Mont Gueliz is situated in Gueliz, which is more modern, and it's a little bit away from the hustle and bustle of the medina, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your personality. Car park [free of charge] and taxi service are available.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
They really thought of everything. Air conditioning in public area is a necessity in such a hot climate. Cash withdrawal, concierge, currency exchange, daily housekeeping, doorman, dry cleaning, elevator, and facilities for disabled guests, all provided that added to the pleasant experience. I didn't need to use some features, such as luggage storage, or invoice provided, but it’s nice to know those services are there.
For the Kids:
I didn't see many kids around, so if you're travelling family/child friendly is a must. I think they have Babysitting service and Kids meal, so you should be good.
Internet is Everything:
I’m not sure exactly what you need, but here is an overview:
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Yes!).
- Internet (duh).
- Internet [LAN] (for the old-school).
- Internet services (the usual).
- Wi-Fi in public areas (also available and reliable).
The (Slightly Messy) Verdict:
Hotel Mont Gueliz isn't perfect. It’s not the most uniquely designed hotel. However, it offers a solid, comfortable base for exploring Marrakech – and it does so while keeping things clean, safe, and relatively stress-free. The spa alone is almost worth the price of admission. The staff are genuinely friendly, and the location is convenient.
Would I recommend it? Absolutely. Especially if you're looking for a balance of comfort, convenience, and peace of mind.
Final Rating: 4 out of 5 stars!
SEO Optimized Call-to-Action (Book Your Escape!)
Escape to Marrakech & Unwind at Hotel Mont Gueliz!
Ready to trade the everyday for a taste of paradise? Hotel Mont Gueliz in Marrakech offers a perfect blend of modern comfort, unparalleled safety, and rejuvenating spa experiences. Experience:
- Luxurious Rooms with Free Wi-Fi, perfectly suited for work or play.
- Relaxing Spa Treatments: Indulge in body scrubs, massages, and more in their top-of-the-line spa.
- Gourmet Dining: Savor delectable international and Asian cuisine.
- Unbeatable Safety: Enjoy peace of mind with rigorous cleaning protocols and attentive staff.
- Prime Location: Easily explore the vibrant city and its attractions.
Book your stay at Hotel Mont Gueliz today and experience the hidden gem of Marrakech! [Link to Booking Website]
#MarrakechHotel #HotelMontGueliz #MarrakechSpa #MoroccoTravel #LuxuryTravel #SafeTravel #HiddenGemMarrakech #Gueliz #EscapeToParadise #TravelReview #MarrakechReview #TravelDeals
Primavera Guest House: Your Unforgettable South African EscapeOkay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your perfectly polished travel brochure; this is the actual unvarnished truth of my whirlwind trip to Hotel Mont Gueliz in Marrakech, Morocco. Prepare for glorious highs, soul-crushing lows, and enough mint tea to power a small village.
Morocco: Hotel Mont Gueliz - A Messy, Glorious Adventure
Day 1: Arrival - Into the Labyrinth (and Immediate Panic)
- 5:00 AM (ish): The alarm SCREAMS. Jet lag-induced terror sets in. Did I pack enough socks? (Spoiler alert: NOPE). Grabbing my bags, I'm already dreading the 14-hour flight.
- 11:00 PM (Moroccan Time, roughly): Landing in Marrakech. The air hits me like a warm, spiced slap. It's vibrant, and it's already overwhelming. The airport is a beautiful chaos – the Arabic, the bustle, the smells… I'm instantly charmed and terrified, all at once.
- 11:45 PM: Finding the driver arranged through the hotel…was a struggle. Okay, I'm clearly the stereotype of the lost tourist. A guy with a name vaguely resembling "Mustafa" holds up a sign with my name scrawled in what I can only assume is Arabic calligraphy. Turns out he's a kind, patient soul who speaks just enough English to get me through the night.
- 12:30 AM: The drive to Mont Gueliz. First impressions? It's… a bit rough around the edges. But honestly, as the driver navigated the crazy streets of Marrakech, packed with motorbikes, donkeys, and a general disregard for traffic laws (at least as I know them!), the adventure starts.
- 1:00 AM: Arriving at the Hotel. Okay, the lobby is kinda lovely! Check-in takes forever. The receptionist, bless her heart, seems just as exhausted as I am. I'm pretty sure she can smell my travel-weary stink. Finally, keys in hand, I'm ushered to my room. It's… basic. Fine. Clean enough. I'm too tired to care. Collapse onto the bed. Success.
Day 2: The Souk of Souls (and Stomach Upset)
- 8:00 AM: Woken up with a piercing roar from the street. Okay, I guess that's what "city sounds" means, a mix of car horns and calls to prayer.
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel is a mixed bag. The coffee is decent, but the "fresh" fruit salad? Let's just say my stomach is already feeling the strain of the new cuisine…
- 10:00 AM: Diving into the souks! Oh. My. God. It's sensory overload in the best possible way. Colors explode! Spices dance in the air! The sheer volume of stuff is mind-boggling. I'm instantly lost. I'm instantly in heaven.
- 11:00 AM: Almost got conned into buying a ridiculously overpriced rug. Learned the hard way: HAGGLE! Everything is negotiable. Never pay what they first ask!
- 1:00 PM: Lunch fail. Street food! Oh, I thought I would be a seasoned traveler. The most aromatic smell of meat comes, I eat it, I love it, and then… my stomach turns on me. I am so sorry for all the food I have eaten this day.
- 2:00 PM: Back to the hotel to rest.
- 5:00 PM: Rooftop terrace at Mont Gueliz. Sipping mint tea, watching the sunset over Marrakech. Absolutely breathtaking. This is what I came here for. This is heaven. This is… a little too much, I need to get away from these people.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a restaurant near the hotel. I have food in my stomach, but am now questioning all my food decisions.
Day 3: The Jardin Majorelle & A Taxi (Almost) Disaster
- 9:00 AM: Jardin Majorelle. The blue! The plants! The gorgeous, gorgeous serenity. It's Instagram heaven, but honestly, it's even better in person. Completely worth braving the crowds for. The sheer beauty of the place, the way the blue pops against the green… it's like a postcard come to life. Feeling slightly unwell, I leave.
- 11:00 AM: Taking a taxi. Bad idea. The driver takes me on a scenic tour of… nowhere. I try to argue (in my increasingly desperate French), but he just smiles and pretends not to understand. He's a pro, folks. Finally, I pay more than I should have, but I'm just happy to get away. Note to self: learn to use the local transports before getting into another taxi.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch at a tiny cafe. Managed to eat a small plate of couscous without incident, so that's a win, I guess.
- 2:00 PM: Back to the hotel, resting.
- 4:00 PM: The pool. Just… the pool. Need some time to relax, and the sun feels heavenly. Someone should bring me a beer.
- 8:00 PM: Okay, tonight is the night I will eat! I go to a restaurant near the hotel. I order a meal that I know that I can eat, and end up having the best time ever.
Day 4: Hammam Hell (and Heaven?)
- 10:00 AM: Hammam time! I'm both excited and terrified. The stories… the scrubbing… the nakedness. It all sounds intense.
- 11:00 AM: Entering the Hammam. So hot!
- 11:30 AM: Okay, it's brutal! The scrub is vigorous, the steam is intense, and I'm pretty sure I've never felt so exposed.
- 12:00 PM: Emerging from the Hammam. My skin feels like a baby's bottom. I feel… reborn. Maybe this whole "self-care" thing isn't a complete sham.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch, finally. This time, a chicken dish, that does not mess with my gut.
- 2:00 PM: Getting ready for the departure. Sigh. I want to stay.
- 3:00 PM: Depart.
Final Thoughts:
Hotel Mont Gueliz: Not perfect, but charming. The staff were lovely despite my many shortcomings. Marrakech: a chaotic, beautiful, exhausting, and utterly unforgettable experience. I'm still a little jet-lagged, a little sunburnt, and my stomach? Well, let's just say we're not on the best terms. But would I go back? Absolutely! Maybe next time, I'll pack more socks.
P.S. Don't feel bad if you’re too tired to leave your hotel. The views are also wonderful. The coffee is decent, but the "fresh" fruit salad?
Atilla's Cave Hotel: Turkey's MOST Unforgettable Stay (You WON'T Believe This!)