
Escape to Paradise: Moorea Beach Lodge Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Moorea Beach Lodge Awaits! - A Review (Finally, the Truth!)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the (slightly sandy) tea about Escape to Paradise: Moorea Beach Lodge Awaits! Forget those glossy travel brochures; this is the REAL DEAL. And trust me, after spending a week there, I have opinions.
First Impressions…and the Accessibility Angle:
Finding a truly accessible paradise is harder than finding a decent coffee in a Parisian bakery. My partner uses a wheelchair, and finding places that are actually accessible is a constant struggle. So, let's dive in.
Accessibility: Well, this is where things get a little…Moorean. The hotel claims accessibility, but let's be real, "claims" is a strong word. Ramps are present in some areas, which is a start, but navigating the sandy paths (and there's a LOT of sand, it is a beach lodge!) was…an adventure. Sometimes fun, sometimes a workout. Verdict: Potentially accessible, but call ahead and be VERY specific about your needs. Don't just trust the photos, ask questions!
Wheelchair Accessible: See above! This is a work in progress. The rooms are designed for wheelchair users and the doors are wide enough, which is awesome. but the paths? Hmm… the pool is a no go.
Elevator: YES! A functioning elevator is a huge plus.
Facilities for Disabled Guests: Again, a mixed bag. The room was good, but navigating the common areas required some assistance.
The Wi-Fi Saga and Other Techie Bits:
Internet, Free Wi-Fi in All rooms!: YES! And it actually works! Unlike several other hotels I have been in, that say their WiFi is fast but it isn't!
Internet Access: They offer Internet [LAN], which is great for some people who travel with their jobs.
Air conditioning in public area: Thankfully, it's available in the public areas, such as the reception and restaurants.
Things to Do (and Ways to Really Relax - Because, Duh):
Okay, let's be honest, you're going to Moorea to do one thing: chill. And "Escape to Paradise" does a good job of facilitating that.
- Swimming Pool: The outdoor swimming pool? Absolutely gorgeous. The view from the pool? Stunning. The only problem is it is not accessible.
- Pool with view: Yep, can confirm. Picture-perfect pool, perfect views.
- Beach: What would a beach lodge be without a beach? The location is absolutely perfect.
- Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom: Okay, I didn't hit all of these up. Too much sun and sand to fit everything. I'm not sure how many people really use these things during the days of sunshine. I did spend time in the Spa. It was very relaxing.
- Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap: Essential. Do it. Book it. Don't even think about it, just do it. I had a deep tissue massage that practically melted me into the sand. Pure bliss. Now, here's a funny story (I'm making a note to myself to make sure the lady doing the massage is strong enough because she was a little to soft and it was really hard to relax).
- Gym/fitness, Fitness center: There’s a fitness center too! I like to be fit so I went.
- Ways to Relax: Um, everything? The beach, the pool, the spa treatments. Basically, the whole point of the place.
- Foot bath: I did not use the foot bath (I'm sure it would have been lovely!)
Cleanliness and Safety (Because, Let's Be Real, We Need This Now More Than Ever):
The Lodge takes cleanliness seriously. I felt very safe.
Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment: Yes. They do all this. I felt like they did a great job.
Room sanitization opt-out available: Nice to have that option, I did not.
First aid kit, Doctor/nurse on call: Check. You're also on an island, so having these things is important!
Smoke alarms, Fire extinguisher: I hope all hotels have this. I just checked, it does.
Food, Glorious Food (And the Occasional Hangover):
Okay, the food. This is where things get interesting.
Restaurants, Coffee shop, Poolside bar, Snack bar, and Bar: Options are key.
Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: The food choice is very important to me. I had both the Asian and Western breakfast. I am a very picky eater, but I really enjoyed the Western breakfast!
A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant: All the options one could ask for.
Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service: Great for lazy mornings!
Room service [24-hour]: YES! Especially crucial after a few too many Mai Tais at the bar.
Bottle of water: A must-have.
Happy hour: Essential. Go. Now.
Coffee/tea in restaurant: You need the coffee!
The "Annoying Stuff" and "Little Things" (aka, Services and Conveniences):
No place is perfect, right?
Cashless payment service: Very useful.
Concierge, Doorman, Daily housekeeping: They are all great. I did notice that some of the staff didn't speak English very well. But I had a great time talking to the staff.
Luggage storage: Yay!
Laundry service, Dry cleaning, Ironing service: Because you have to look presentable (at least sometimes).
Gift/souvenir shop: Grab some postcards!
Currency exchange, Cash withdrawal: handy.
Air conditioning in public area: very important.
Air conditioning: Even more important in your room!
For the Kids (or Those Who Act Like Them):
- Family/child friendly, Babysitting service, Kids facilities, Kids meal: They have families, and they accommodate them.
Inside the Room (The Good, the Bad, and the Really, Really Comfy):
The rooms? Pretty good. I had a room with a fantastic view (ask for one, trust me).
Air conditioning: Oh yes, you NEED this.
Blackout curtains: Crucial for sleeping off that jet lag.
Desk, Laptop workspace: If you must do work (shame on you!).
Mini bar, Free bottled water: essentials!
Bathrobes, Slippers: Loved these. Felt fancy.
Shower, Separate shower/bathtub: The separate shower/bathtub was a nice touch.
Toiletries: I liked the toiletries.
Mirror, Hair dryer, Safety/security feature: They had everything.
Balcony: Wonderful!
Wake-up service: Works.
Smoke detector: Always a good thing.
Soundproofing: Pretty good; a little noisy sometimes, but nothing too bad.
Coffee/tea maker: I love coffee, so I give them an A+.
Getting Around:
Airport transfer: Absolutely use this! Makes life SO much easier!
Car park [free of charge]: Huge plus!
Taxi service: readily available.
The Ultimate Verdict: Is Escape to Paradise Worth It? (And Who Should Book?)
Look, Moorea is magical. "Escape to Paradise: Moorea Beach Lodge Awaits!" is a solid choice for the price.
The "Who it's Perfect For":
- Honeymooners: Absolutely. Romantic, gorgeous, and all-around wonderful.
- Couples looking for a relaxing getaway: See above. Seriously.
- Families: Yes, but be very clear about your accessibility needs.
- Anyone who wants to disconnect and de-stress: Mission accomplished.
- Anyone looking for an experience: 5 out of 5 stars.
The "Maybe Not":
- Accessibility-dependent travelers: Contact the hotel before booking and be very specific about your needs.

Alright, buckle up, buttercups! This isn't your perfectly curated Instagram travel guide. This is me, raw and caffeinated, experiencing Moorea Beach Lodge, French Polynesia. Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotions, questionable decisions, and enough sand in my sandals to build a small… well, a small sandcastle.
Moorea Beach Lodge: My Brain on Vacation (and Half a Bottle of Rum)
Day 1: Arrival & Existential Dread (and Amazing Seafood)
- 6:00 AM (Papeete Airport): Holy moly. That flight from LAX was a beast. Smelled like a tin of stale peanuts and existential dread the whole way. The humidity hits you like a warm, damp hug the moment you disembark. Pretty sure my hair instantly tripled in volume. Someone get me a Polynesian braid fast.
- 7:00 AM (Ferry to Moorea): The ferry! YES! This is what I imagined! Turquoise water blurring past… even if I did spill a bit of coffee on my pristine white linen pants (curse you, early morning clumsiness!). This is the dream. Okay, maybe I'm overselling it. Did I pack enough sunscreen??
- 8:00 AM (Moorea Beach Lodge - Check in) : The lodge is… charming. Let’s go with charming. It's definitely rustic-chic, which is French Polynesian code for "slightly more basic than what the brochure promised". But the view… the view! Right on the lagoon, the water is the colour of a thousand sapphires. Okay, I'm officially in paradise. Wait, is that a cockroach? Nope. Just a particularly sassy gecko. Crisis averted.
- 10:00 AM (Settling In & The Great Sand Flea Panic): Unpacked. Found a small, but very persistent, sand flea. This is not ideal. Immediately, the thought of itchy bites and potential infections flashes through my mind. Maybe I should have stayed home. Okay, Breathe. Sunscreen? Yes. Bug spray? Yes. Panic? Maybe a little.
- 12:00 PM (Lunch at the Lodge Restaurant - The Food Was SO GOOD): Ate the most incredible grilled fish. The fresh catches are a must. It was accompanied by the most wonderfully potent coconut rice. The chef, a jovial man named Teva, looked like he’d been born with a fishing rod in one hand and a smile in the other. He told me, in broken English and lots of hand gestures, about his secret spice rub. I'm definitely going to try and replicate that when I get home. Probably end up with something that tastes vaguely of dish soap.
- 2:00 PM (Lagoon Swim & Snorkelling Frenzy): Into the water! The lagoon is warm… but clear. The visibility! Fish of every colour imaginable. Coral gardens bursting with life. It's like being inside a postcard. Okay, I feel slightly calmer now regarding the sand fleas. Although, one did bite me.
- 4:00 PM (The Great Book-Reading Debate): I planned to read a book, but my brain is fried from the travel and the sun. I think I nodded off while trying to read. Realised I have no interest in reading about anything when this much beauty surrounds me.
- 6:00 PM (Sunset Cocktails & Existential Realisation Round 2): Sunset at the beach bar. The sky explodes with colour. Orange, purple, pink… it’s breathtaking. I have a cocktail in my hand, the sand between my toes, and a sudden sense of… well, insignificance. Like, REALLY significant. The beauty is overwhelming me. I have moments like this.
- 7:30 PM (Dinner at the Lodge – French Flavours): Steak. The atmosphere is warm and relaxed. There's dancing and music and people smiling. Maybe this paradise thing isn't so bad after all.
- 9:00 PM (Early Night. Jetlag & Gecko Symphony): In bed. Exhausted. The chorus of geckos outside is deafening, a constant chirping, chattering, clicking… I'm pretty sure they're having a party, and I wasn't invited.
Day 2: Adventure? Maybe? (Plus, That Sand Flea…)
- 7:00 AM (Attempted Yoga & The Great Muscle Ache): Woke up early, feeling ambitious. Thought I'd do some yoga on the beach. Lasted all of 10 minutes before succumbing to a stiff neck and a general feeling of inadequacy. Maybe yoga isn't my thing.
- 9:00 AM (Breakfast & The Sand Flea Nemesis): The sand flea has returned. I am waging WAR. Sprayed myself head to toe in bug spray. The air now smells like a toxic waste dump. This is the price of paradise.
- 10:00 AM (Scuba Diving - or, at Least, Attempting To): I went for scuba diving with a guide. The boat ride was an adventure in itself (getting thrown around a bit) but the dive was incredible. Saw manta rays, a lemon shark (terrifying and amazing!), and enough coral to fill a small aquarium. The guide was patient and encouraging (probably because I nearly drowned once when I got too enthusiastic). After, I was filled with a mix of fear and elation.
- 1:00 PM (Lunch & Post-Dive Revelations): I am starving. The adrenaline from the dive has left me ravenous. Devoured a plate of fries and a burger. I think I deserve it.
- 2:00 PM (Relaxing on the Beach): Reading a book and just chilling on the beach. I have nothing to do. It's perfect.
- 4:00 PM (Kayaking & Almost Capsizing): Rented a kayak. The water looks calm. Famous last words. I was happily paddling, enjoying the view, when BAM! A rogue wave (okay, maybe it was just a ripple) nearly capsized the whole thing. I screamed like a banshee. Managed to stay upright, but soaking wet and incredibly humiliated. Lesson learned: ocean currents are a force to be reckoned with.
- 6:00 PM (Sunset Cocktails & Philosophical Ramblings): Back at the beach bar. The sunset is even more stunning than last night. Thinking less about the sand fleas. More about life. Questioning my career choices. Wondering if I should just stay here forever. Definitely should.
- 7:30 PM (Dinner - Another Fish!): Another fantastic seafood meal. Chatty with a fellow traveller. This is the life.
- 9:00 PM (Early Night. Blissed-Out & Mosquito-Bitten): Early to bed. This time, I can't hear the geckos. I feel… at peace. Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this paradise thing. Or, maybe I'm just exhausted…
Day 3: The Volcano, The Juice (And Saying Goodbye)
- 8:00 AM (Breakfast & The Great Sand Flea Ceasefire): Miraculously, the sand fleas seem to have given up. Or maybe they're just lying in wait. The breakfast, fresh fruit. Yes, so much fruit!
- 9:00 AM (4x4 Tour & Mountain Majesty): The 4x4 tour was incredible! The views were breathtaking. The guide, a local named Coco, was a character, telling us stories and jokes while navigating the rugged terrain. Driving around the mountains, taking in every single breath.
- 11:00 AM (The Juice Factory): The juice factory! Samples! Pineapple, guava, mango… pure liquid sunshine. I may have sampled a little too enthusiastically. My clothes, less pristine now, and the need to purchase a few bottles of this juice is a must.
- 1:00 PM (Lunch & Reflection): Back at the lodge. Feeling content and reflective. Thinking about the whole experience.
- 3:00 PM (Snorkelling & The Great Turtle Encounter): Went snorkelling. Saw a sea turtle. It was majestic. I cried a little.
- 5:00 PM (Packing & Melancholy): It’s time to pack. My bags have never looked so messy. I don't want to leave.
- 6:00 PM (Farewell Sunset & Final Cocktails): The last of those beautiful sunsets! Soaking it all in.
- 7:30 PM (Farewell Dinner): Tears. Goodbyes. Promises to return.
- 9:00 PM (Final Night. The Gecko Symphony & Heartbreak): Back in my room. Heartbreak. The geckos sing their lullaby. I close my eyes, filled with memories of sun, sand, and the occasional sand flea. Moorea, you thief of hearts. I'll be back.
The Takeaway: Moorea Beach Lodge. It’s not perfect. It's beautiful. It's an adventure. And it's everything I needed (and a few things I definitely didn't).
Escape to Paradise: Sterling Reef Hotel Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Moorea Beach Lodge Awaits! - FAQ (But Seriously, What's Up?)
Okay, but *really*, is Moorea as ridiculously beautiful as the pictures? Because let's be honest, Instagram lies.
Alright, deep breaths. The pictures? They're... a good starting point. They hint at the sheer, jaw-dropping *insanity* of Moorea. But they can't replicate the smell of frangipani mixed with salt air, the way the light dances on the turquoise water, or the utter *silence* you find yourself enveloped in after a week of city noise. Listen, I’m a cynical New Yorker by trade. Expecting disappointment is basically my superpower. But Moorea? It’s like the universe decided to say, "Here. Have this. You’ve earned it." I literally *wept* on the plane ride home from sheer sensory overload. And I'm not ashamed. Okay, maybe a little.
What's the deal with the Moorea Beach Lodge itself? Is it actually charming or just... pretending?
Charming? Honey, it's more like "utterly and completely endearing, like a slightly rumpled, sun-kissed relative who always knows how to make you laugh." It's not some sterile, cookie-cutter resort. It’s got character. Little quirks. You know, the kind of place where your room key *might* (and I say "might" because my memory is shot after that mai tai) accidentally disappear from time to time. Nothing the delightful staff and another mai tai can't fix! The bungalows? Simple. Elegant. Directly on the beach. Waking up to that view? Pure, unfiltered bliss. Okay, maybe a *little* filtered, because I had a serious problem with the sun streaming in and hitting me directly in the face every morning. But still, bliss. And the staff... they're not just efficient, they're genuinely *nice*. They remember your name (even if you forget theirs). And the small number of bungalows meant you always felt like you had space. No overcrowded brunch buffets. Just peace and quiet. Unless you're next door to the couple who insists on playing the same ukulele song on repeat, like *I* experienced... then maybe you want to politely request they stop.
Food. We must talk food! Is it all just fish and fruit? (And please, tell me there's decent coffee!)
Food! Okay, deep breath again. Yes, there's fish. Lots of it. And it's amazing. Fresh, grilled, seared, even in little fish tacos. And yes, the fruit is like it's been kissed by the gods. Pineapples, mangoes, papayas… the taste is unlike the anemic things you find in the US. But! They also have other options. There's a little restaurant not too far from the lodge that served the *most* incredible pizza. Seriously, best pizza I've had in years. I walked past a whole lot of French restaurants that were really good too. And the coffee? Listen, this is important. The coffee at the Lodge was... decent. Let's just say I brought my own backup stash and a travel French press. I needed that caffeine! However, the little patisserie just down the road had amazing coffee, so problem solved! I just had to walk a bit, and then I got to enjoy all the delicious treats. Coffee and croissants while watching the sunrise over the lagoon? Chef's kiss. *Sigh*. I miss it so much.
What's there to *do* besides, you know, being lazy on the beach? I get bored easily.
Bored? Ha! Moorea may be paradise but you'll be able to tire yourself out if you want! There's snorkeling – amazing snorkeling, with the most colorful fish you've ever seen. You can kayak, paddleboard, take a boat tour to see the dolphins, or even go scuba diving. I did all of these things. And then collapsed. My recommendation? Don't overschedule. That's the biggest mistake people make. I did the dolphin tour as requested by my partner, and while it was fun, I really just wanted to chill on the beach. Learn from my mistakes, people!. Embrace the sloth life! Seriously, though, if you're feeling energetic, hike to the Belvedere Lookout for a panoramic view. Just remember to bring water. And maybe a snack. You know? Okay, I'm getting the urge to get back, and I need to stop myself from booking the flights right now.
Okay, but what about the dreaded mosquitoes? Are they tiny vampires of paradise?
YES! Okay, breathe. Mosquitoes. They are there. They are persistent. They will find you. The lodge provides mosquito nets (use them!), but bring your own heavy-duty repellent. I'm talking serious, DEET-laden stuff. I got eaten alive the first night. I looked like I had chickenpox. Learn from my mistakes! Don't be a hero. Protect yourself. And maybe consider taking Vitamin B12 for a month before you go – it’s supposed to help. I swear I was the only one getting bit, and I'm always the one getting bit! I swear I could smell them coming.
Are there any hidden downsides or things I should be aware of? Don't sugarcoat it!
Alright, the truth bomb. It's not *perfect*. Things can be expensive. Like, "that bottle of water cost how much?!" expensive. The internet can be spotty (but honestly, that's a plus, right?). You'll have to be prepared to fly to Papeete airport, and then take a ferry to Moorea. The ferry experience is fun, and then a taxi or rental to the lodge. The ferry is usually a bit rough, so take motion sickness medicine if you're prone to it. You might encounter the occasional local dog wandering around the beach, adorable but persistent (don't feed them, they'll follow you everywhere). You might be tempted to stay forever. The biggest downside? Leaving. Seriously. Coming home is brutal. You'll be craving a mai tai and the sound of the waves for weeks. I'm still not recovered.
Should I just book it already? Honestly. Is going to Moorea Beach Lodge a waste of time and money, or is it actually worth it? Tell me the truth.
Okay, the final verdict. Is it worth it? Absolutely, unequivocally, a resounding YES. If you can afford it, and if you need to escape the grind and experience something truly special, then yes. Book it. Pack your bags. Prepare for sensory overload. Prepare to relax more deeply than you ever thought possible. Prepare to fall in love with paradise. Prepare to come back changed. Sure, I'm still dealing with the post-vacation blues, still fighting the urge to permanently relocate, and still dreaming of those crystal-clear waters, but the experience was worthDigital Nomad Hotels

