Escape to Paradise: Croatia's Adriatic Wine Resort Mikulic Awaits
Escape to Paradise: Croatia's Adriatic Wine Resort Mikulic – Or How I Almost Got Lost in a Vineyard (and Loved Every Second)
Okay, buckle up, because this isn't your typical hotel review. This is the rambling, slightly-caffeinated, and utterly honest account of my escape to Escape to Paradise: Croatia's Adriatic Wine Resort Mikulic, a place that promised sunshine, vineyards, and a healthy dose of relaxation. Did it deliver? Well, let's just say I'm still trying to scrub the Croatian sunshine tan off my nose.
This is for you if: You're craving a getaway that's a little bit fancy, a little bit rustic, and a whole lot of beautiful. You appreciate good wine, stunning views, and the occasional spa treatment. You’re also okay with a bit of a journey and some slight imperfections – because, hey, that's life, right?
Getting There (and the First Hiccup):
Finding Mikulic wasn't exactly a walk in the park. The phrase "off the beaten path" springs to mind. Now, I'm usually pretty good with directions, but Google Maps decided to lead me on a scenic tour of… well, a whole lotta gravel roads. My rental car, bless its little engine, whined in protest. The upside? The views! Seriously, the drive itself, despite the bumps, was breathtaking. Rolling hills, vineyards stretching as far as the eye could see, and the shimmering Adriatic in the distance. Pure postcard material.
Accessibility (Because Everyone Deserves Paradise):
I didn’t personally need wheelchair access, but I did investigate the resort's claims on this. Mikulic boasts facilities for disabled guests, and the elevator is definitely a plus. Navigating the resort itself seemed relatively easy, though I'd highly recommend contacting the resort beforehand to get specific details about ramp access to restaurants and other areas. This is one area where a phone call will save you a headache!
Checking In (and First Impressions):
The front desk [24-hour] was a lifesaver, especially after my slightly stressful drive. The staff were friendly, efficient, and spoke excellent English. Contactless check-in/out was a nice touch, and the initial view of the terrace overlooking the vineyards… oh, man. The air tasted like sunshine and grapes. I felt the stress of travel melt away instantly.
My Room (Spoiler: I Didn't Want to Ever Leave):
My room? Stunning. Seriously. Forget those sterile hotel rooms – this felt like a personalized oasis. Air conditioning, thankfully, because Croatian summers are no joke. Free Wi-Fi that actually worked (hallelujah!) and a comfy sofa for collapsing on after a long day of… well, relaxing.
- Wi-Fi [free]? Check.
- Air conditioning? Check.
- Blackout curtains? Bless those sweet, sweet blackout curtains! I could actually sleep in!
- Bathrobes and slippers? Oh, yes. Luxury.
- Free bottled water? Hydration is key, people!
- Seating area? Perfect for sipping that coffee and staring at the view!
- Private bathroom, separate shower/bathtub, Toiletries? They had it all.
I'm talking about a standard room with Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], and a Window that opens.
There was a desk, which was a godsend for catching up on emails (ugh), and a mini-bar for those late-night cravings for chocolate. Seriously, the whole room felt designed for pure relaxation. And the daily housekeeping? Spotless.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (A Serious Highlight):
Okay, let's talk food. Because if a hotel can't deliver on the culinary front, it's already lost half the battle. Mikulic crushed it.
Breakfast [buffet]: So, this was a bit of a love-hate thing. The buffet was HUGE. Tons of options - I'm talking Asian breakfast, Western breakfast, every type of pastry imaginable, fresh fruit, and, of course, the all-important coffee. The "hate" part? The sheer embarrassment of my first plate. I went full hog and felt a little overstuffed, and the quality was great.
Restaurants: This is where Mikulic really shines.
*A la carte in restaurant: Excellent. I had a phenomenal seafood pasta one night, and the service was impeccable.
Vegetarian restaurant: A welcome addition. My friend is a vegetarian she loved the Vegetarian restaurant.
Bar and Poolside bar: The pool, with its Pool with view, was a must-do. Cocktail names were cheesy, and the bartenders knew their stuff. They had a fine selection of local wines also!
Snack bar: For those moments when a light bite is enough, it's perfect.
Room service [24-hour]: For my 2 AM pizza moment, I didn't get there but it's good to know is there.
Coffee/tea in restaurant: It was a must-have, given the above.
International cuisine in restaurant? It was a pleasure.
The Asian cuisine in restaurant was a nice add on.
Desserts in restaurant: Yes, please.
Bottle of water: Always available.
Happy hour: Yes indeed.
Salad in restaurant? I'll take a Caesar salad please.
So, dining, drinking, and snacking? Totally nailed it.
Things To Do (Besides Drinking Wine… Mostly):
Swimming pool and Swimming pool [outdoor]: Yes, yes, and yes. The outdoor pool was glorious, and the views from it were postcard-worthy.
Spa: Okay, the spa. This is where I spent a shameful amount of time, and I have zero regrets. Think sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, and a massage that melted away all my stress. My skin felt incredible after a Body scrub and Body wrap. Treat yourself. Seriously. Just do it.
Fitness center: They did have a Fitness center and Gym/fitness; I walked past it every day. I'm sure it's lovely.
Ways to relax: Pretty much everywhere.
Foot bath: Sounds great.
Baby sitting service and kids facilities: Great for the kids.
Cleanliness and Safety (Especially Important Nowadays):
Mikulic takes hygiene seriously, which I greatly appreciated.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Check.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Check.
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere!
- Individually-wrapped food options: Nice touch.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: They did their best.
- Professional-grade sanitizing services: Check.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Check.
- Safe dining setup: Check.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: All good!
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Always a plus.
I saw CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property and Fire extinguisher, First aid kit, Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, and Soundproof rooms.
Services and Conveniences (The Little Things That Matter): In the end, the hotel has everything you'd expect:
- Daily housekeeping, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes, Smoking area, Terrace, and Xerox/fax in business center.
Internet (Huzzah!):
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! It was actually good, not the dial-up speed that some places try to fob you off with. Internet [LAN] was available too.
**
Uncover Anzi, France's Hidden Gem: Your Dream Chambre d'Hôtes Awaits!Okay, buckle up, buttercups! This isn't your sanitized, perfectly-organized travel brochure. This is the raw, unfiltered, likely-to-be-slightly-drunk-on-wine experience that might be my trip to Wine Resort Adriatic Mikulic in Croatia. Consider this your chaotic, hopefully-entertaining, and absolutely NOT perfect guide.
Day 1: Arrival & Overwhelming Expectations (and a near-miss with a rogue suitcase)
- Morning (ish): ARRIVAL! Zagreb Airport. Or, at least, the aim is to arrive. The flight was fine, but the baggage carousel? Absolute Hunger Games. My suitcase threatened to take out a small child (sorry, kid!). Finally wrestled it free. Disaster averted! My first thought? "I need a drink." My second thought? "Croatia, you look… pretty." The drive to Mikulic. The scenery is gorgeous. I mean, really gorgeous. Like, postcard-worthy gorgeous. I might even take a picture of it.
- Afternoon: Check-in at the Wine Resort. Gorgeous. Seriously. Like, "Instagram-worthy" gorgeous. That initial waft of fresh air and the promise of wine… pure euphoria. The room? Spacious. The bed? Oh, HEAVEN. Before I can even think about unpacking, I’m scouting out the potential wine sources. And the pool! Oh my god, the pool. I might just live here.
- Evening: Dinner at the resort restaurant. OK, confession time. The food? Amazing. But I'm a bit of a klutz. I spilled some wine, and the waiter was very patient. We had a local wine pairing, naturally. Each glass was more delicious than the last. By the third course, I’m practically best friends with the sommelier. He mentioned some interesting local varieties I'd never heard of. I scribbled it down on a napkin, but I have a feeling that napkin is now residing in the abyss of my purse.
- Late Night: Sitting in my room overwhelmed with the silence and the beauty, with the wine sloshing around. I made a note to buy a LOT of wine. Then, promptly fell asleep.
Day 2: Vineyard Vibes, Accidental Overindulgence & a Battle with Bugs
- Morning: Breakfast! And coffee, because I apparently can’t function without caffeine. After the glorious and gigantic meal, I joined a tour of a local vineyard. It was… educational. And by educational, I mean I learned a lot about grapes and even more about how much I like wine. The owner and vineyard manager, were very enthusiastic and were just delightful. They had great energy and it just made the experience even more lovely.
- Afternoon: Wine tasting! Seriously, this is what I came for. We tasted a variety of wines, and I took notes (loosely, mostly involving the words "delicious," "smooth," and "more"). There may have been a slight… overindulgence. Let's just say I was feeling very friendly by the end. And slightly wobbly. And maybe bought way too many bottles. The sun was lovely, and I was smiling.
- Evening: Dinner again, but this time with the wine I'd bought. It was fantastic! But there seem to be many bugs. They appear to be everywhere. I am covered in bites. I am absolutely losing my mind, but the wine? The wine is good.
- Late Night: Trying desperately to ward off the bugs from entering my room. This is turning into a comedy of errors. I am attempting to build a fort. I am certain I look hilarious. Maybe this is the wine talking.
Day 3: The Truffle Hunt & a Serious Case of "I Don't Wanna Leave"
- Morning: Truffle hunting! This was incredible! We wandered through the forest with a truffle hunter and his adorable dog. Watching the dog sniff out the truffles was amazing. The hunt itself was surprisingly challenging. And then, we found them. We unearthed some incredibly delicious truffles. And they smelled DIVINE.
- Afternoon: Cooking class! Using the truffles, of course! We made pasta with truffle sauce (oh. my. god.). Followed by a truffle risotto. (I may never eat anything else again). I was proud.
- Evening: Wandered around the resort. I am feeling incredibly reluctant to leave. I am thinking of extending my trip. I'm seriously considering selling everything and moving to this wine resort. It's that good. The staff is amazing. The food is incredible. The world feels perfect.
- Late Night: Packing (or, attempting to pack) and lamenting the fact that I have to leave tomorrow. Thinking, "Maybe if I pretend I don’t need to leave I don’t have to?" Realistically, do I really need to go back to work? I should buy some things on my way back but what? It's all I could think about. Now I wish I had listened to the sommelier and written down all of his recommendations. All of this is me rambling.
Day 4: Departure (and a Vow to Return)
- Morning: HEARTBREAK. Coffee, one last breakfast, and a final, lingering look at that pool. Seriously, I'm going to miss it.
- Afternoon: The drive back to Zagreb for the airport. The landscape is still beautiful, but it's tainted with sadness.
- Evening: The flight. The plane. The seatbelt that wasn't me. I could barely think. I was too tired to eat. All I could think about was the wine.
- Late Night: Back home. Empty room. Empty fridge. Empty heart. But also… a suitcase full of wine. And memories. And a firm resolution: I will be back. Croatia, you were a revelation. Wine Resort Adriatic Mikulic, you are my happy place. And the bugs? Well, I guess even paradise has its flaws.
The Aftermath:
- Mental state: Post-holiday blues are real. The wine is helping.
- Physical state: Bug bites. Lots of them. Might need a doctor.
- Bank account: Lighter than a feather, thanks to all the wine and truffles.
- Overall rating: Five stars. Would recommend. Would return. Would probably live there if I could. Now, where's that corkscrew? Because honestly, I need a glass of wine. And maybe another trip to Mikulic.
So there you have it. My imperfect, wine-soaked Croatian adventure. Hopefully, you enjoyed my stream of consciousness!
Escape to Paradise: Brazil's Eco Lodge You Won't Believe Exists!