Unbelievable Japan: Otakamori Kanko Hotel's Hidden Luxury!
Unbelievable Japan: Otakamori Kanko Hotel - My Honestly Messy, Wonderful, and Occasionally Bizarre Experience
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to tell you about the Otakamori Kanko Hotel. And let me be upfront: this ain't your Instagram-filtered travel blog. This is the REAL DEAL, unfiltered and, frankly, a little all over the place. But trust me, it's worth it.
First things first: The Hype (and the Real Deal on Accessibility)
They call it "Hidden Luxury." And yeah, there's a kernel of truth in that. Otakamori Kanko is gorgeous. Think sweeping views, lush greenery, and that oh-so-Japanese zen vibe. But before we get to the fluffy stuff, let's talk brass tacks: Accessibility.
Look, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I appreciate a hotel that gets accessibility. And I have to say, Otakamori tries. The elevator is a godsend, thank goodness because this hotel has a lot of hills! The website boasts facilities for disabled guests, and while I couldn't scrutinize every inch, I saw ramps and what looked like accessible rooms. They even have a car park [free of charge], which is a huge bonus in Japan. Check-in/out [private] is a cool touch, keeping things smooth. Facilities for disabled guests were a little sparse: a few ramps here and there, but no grab bars and no braille. Fine. We'll give it a pass, but they could definitely up their game here!
Internet and Techie Bits (aka: My Constant Battle with Wi-Fi)
Alright, let's be real. We all judge a hotel on its Wi-Fi, right? Especially when you're trying to actually *work* while on vacation. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (and a good signal) Oh, thank goodness! They claim Internet [LAN], too, but who uses that anymore? The Internet services were standard, I guess, and thankfully usable. Wi-Fi in public areas was also available but at times I was left pulling out my hair. It was a bit of a hit or miss, and there's nothing worse than a spotty connection when you're trying to upload that perfect sunset pic (or, you know, actually do your job).
Cleanliness and Safety - Because Let's Face It, We’re All a Little Germaphobic Now
Okay, post-pandemic, this is HUGE. And Otakamori nails it, in my opinion! Anti-viral cleaning products? Check. Daily disinfection in common areas? You betcha. Rooms sanitized between stays? Absolutely. They even have individually wrapped food options and hand sanitizer everywhere. They've got Staff trained in safety protocol, which really made me feel safe. The CCTV in common areas and outside the property are also a big plus. And bonus points for the doctor/nurse on call. They even have a first aid kid which I like. You know, just in case. The hotel chain is obviously doing things right.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: My Stomach's Epic Adventure!
Here’s where things get really interesting. I love food. And Otakamori does not disappoint, though it does have its quirks.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Holy moly, the breakfast… It’s a sprawling feast of both Western and Asian options. Seriously, everything from fluffy omelets to miso soup bubbling with flavor. You could get Asian cuisine in restaurant and Western cuisine in restaurant.
- Restaurants: There's more than one! A la carte in restaurant and Buffet in restaurant are both really fun!
- Coffee Shop: Gotta love a good coffee shop, and their coffee was pretty decent.
- Poolside Bar: The poolside bar was my weakness. sipping cocktails and soaking up the sun, perfection!
- Snack Bar: The snack bar was great for mid-afternoon nibbles when you're just too lazy to go get lunch.
- Poolside Bar: They have a Poolside bar which makes you want to stay there forever.
- Desserts in restaurant was great, so you might as well add it too.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Make the Big Difference
Okay, let’s talk about all the little extras that make a hotel liveable. Otakamori has a lot of them.
- Daily housekeeping: Thank goodness for this – my room looked like a tornado hit it after about two hours.
- Concierge: Helpful and friendly – they steered me toward some hidden gems I’d never have found on my own.
- Currency exchange: Necessary, and convenient.
- Elevator: Oh, praise the elevator gods!
- Gift/souvenir shop: A good place for last-minute gifts (or self-indulgent souvenirs).
- Laundry and dry cleaning: Essential, especially if you're like me, and pack light.
- Luggage storage: Super helpful.
- Safety deposit boxes: Always a good idea, to keep your passport and valuables safe.
- Terrace and a Shrine: This is the type of stuff that makes Japan, well, Japan.
Things to Do and Ways to Relax: Spa Day, Anyone?
This is where Otakamori shines. If you want to relax, this is definitely the place.
- The Spa: OMG, the spa. I got a massage, a body scrub, and spent hours in the sauna and steamroom. Talk about zen!
- Swimming Pool: The Swimming Pool [Outdoor] and the relaxing pool with view? Pure bliss.
- Fitness center: I did go to the fitness center because I love a gym.
- Foot bath: This was a nice touch, a bit unconventional but super relaxing.
- Couple's room: If you're with a loved one and want a bit of romance, this is the way to go.
Inside the Room: My Little Sanctuary
Okay, let's talk about the rooms. They’re lovely, really.
- Air conditioning: Essential!
- Bathrobes and slippers: The ultimate touch of luxury!
- Blackout curtains: Perfect for sleeping in.
- Coffee/tea maker: A must-have.
- Free bottled water: Always appreciated.
- Hair dryer: Obviously.
- In-room safe box: For your valuables.
- Mini-bar: Tempting, but I behaved (mostly).
- Separate shower/bathtub: Always a win.
- Wi-Fi [free]: Thank you, baby Jesus.
- Window that opens: I love being able to breathe fresh air.
For the Kids: Fun for the Little Ones!
While I don't have kids, I always look to see what family options they offer. Otakamori seems to be Family/child friendly.
- Babysitting service available.
- Kids facilities were there, too.
- Kids meal available.
Getting Around:
Thankfully, they've got transport covered.
- Airport transfer and Taxi service.
- Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site].
- Car power charging station if you want to be eco-friendly.
What Could Be Improved (Because I'm Brutally Honest):
- The Wi-Fi. Seriously, it needs some work.
- More accessible room features. While they try, they could do better.
- More English speaking staff
The Verdict: Should You Go?
Yes! Definitely yes!
Otakamori Kanko Hotel isn't perfect, but its quirks and imperfections are part of its charm. It's a place where you can truly unwind, indulge, and experience a slice of Japan that's both luxurious and authentic. It's a bit of chaos, a bit of beauty, and a whole lot of fun. Book it. You won't regret it.
My Unforgettable Experience - The Poolside Bar Debacle
Okay, I have to share a story. I was at the Poolside Bar, sipping a perfectly crafted cocktail, feeling like I was living a movie scene. The sun was setting, the view was breathtaking, and I felt utterly, blissfully relaxed.
Then, disaster struck. I managed to spill my entire drink, sending shards of glass everywhere. My immediate reaction was mortification. But the staff? They were amazing. They cleaned everything up with grace, apologized profusely (even though it was my fault), and brought me a fresh, even more delicious cocktail, on the house! It was just one of those moments where you realize that the little things, like a kind gesture, can turn a potential disaster into a truly memorable experience.
My Offer: Book Now and Get a Complimentary 'Zen Experience'
Here's the deal: Book your stay at Otakamori Kanko
Portugal's AntHouse: Breathtaking Mountain Views You Won't Believe!Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's meticulously-planned itinerary. This is a train wreck, a glorious, delicious, slightly-burnt-on-the-edges train wreck of a trip to the Otakamori Kanko Hotel in Japan. Consider yourselves warned.
The Otakamori Kanko Hotel: A Messy Adventure (with potential for amazingness)
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Kimono Kerfuffle (or, How I Almost Became a Japanese Laundry Basket)
- 10:00 AM: Arrival at Narita Airport (NERVOUS). Okay, deep breaths. I imagined this trip would have a more graceful beginning but… It's Japan, which is basically the international language of “Holy Crap, What Do You Do With Your Shoes?!”. My luggage looks like it was attacked by a vengeful octopus.
- 11:30 AM: The Shinkansen Shuffle. Navigating Tokyo Station… it felt like being a marble in a pinball machine of humanity. Beautiful, efficient humanity, but still… pinball. Found the Shinkansen, eventually. Note to self: learn some basic Japanese, like "Where's the bathroom? And maybe a translator app."
- 3:00 PM: Arrival at the Otakamori Kanko Hotel (YES! Relief). Finally. I prayed that my google translation of "Room with a view of the mountains" was accurate. (Fingers crossed for no view of a parking lot). The lobby smells like…well, it smells like a hotel in Japan. That's a good thing, right?
- 4:00 PM: Kimono Time! The Disaster Begins. The hotel offers a Kimono experience. I thought, "This is great! I will become a beautiful, serene vision of Japanese elegance!" The reality? I ended up wrapped so tightly I could barely breathe. The lovely woman helping me had to loosen the sash twice. Afterwards, I felt like I was going to spend the rest of the day going to the launderette.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner: The Tempura Tsunami. Dinner was included, which was fantastic as I was starving (that Kimono was seriously a workout). The tempura was ridiculously good. Light, crispy, perfectly cooked. I may have eaten my body weight in shrimp. Then, the Sake started flowing. That was a mistake.
- 8:00 PM: Onsen Attempt (and the Battle of the Towel). Went to the onsen (hot spring). First, I was worried naked in public. But once I got past feeling like I was going to get arrested for indecent exposure, it was amazing. Soothing. Relaxing. Until – drama! - I accidentally dropped my tiny towel in the communal water. Panic! I felt like I broke a sacred rule. I quickly scuttled out of there as gracefully as a bloated, slightly tipsy seal.
- 9:00 PM: Collapse in Bed. Sweet, sweet sleep.
Day 2: Mountain Whispers, Mishaps, and Midnight Ramen
- 7:00 AM: Wake Up with a View! Actually, a Pretty Great View. Holy moly, the mountains! The view DID turn out to be fantastic. Worth the Kimono-induced suffering. That’s worth at least 10 points.
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast: The Mysterious Miso. The breakfast was…traditional. I found myself staring at a bowl of miso soup looking confused. (What am I even doing with my life?). The rice was perfect, though. And the little individual egg omelets were a delight.
- 9:30 AM: Hike to the Waterfall (and the Wet Shoes Incident). Decided to hike to a nearby waterfall. Sounded idyllic. Reality check: it started raining, and I forgot my waterproof jacket. My shoes, now soaked, the hike included a steep incline and a very slippery, muddy path. Triumph!
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at a Local Restaurant. Found a charming little restaurant with a very kind old woman who spoke little English. I pointed at things on the menu randomly. Ended up with something delicious I cannot describe. It was a total culinary adventure!
- 2:00 PM: Attempting to Learn Calligraphy (Epic Fail Edition). The hotel offers calligraphy lessons. I foolishly thought, "I'm artistic!" Turns out, my handwriting is akin to a drunk spider doing interpretive dance. I produced something that looked like a panicked squiggly line. Humiliating, yet funny.
- 4:00 PM: Relaxing in the Lobby. I needed a break after all that, so I sat in the lobby and had some matcha tea. Feeling calmer now.
- 7:00 PM: The Sake Strikes Back (or When I Thought I Was Fluent In Japanese). More dinner, more delicious tempura. And more Sake. This time, I thought I’d try some Japanese. I ended up accidentally ordering 3 bowls of rice. And I distinctly remember trying to convince the server that I was, in fact, a samurai.
- 10:00 PM: Ramen Run. Starving, I managed to find a late night ramen shop. Best ramen EVER! I sat there, slurping noodles, feeling like I'd truly mastered a small facet of the Japanese lifestyle.
Day 3: Departure and the lingering scent of tempura
- 8:00 AM: Farewell Breakfast. A feeling of sadness mixed with relief. I love Japan, but also really need a shower.
- 9:00 AM: Check Out. Goodbye, Otakamori Kanko Hotel. Honestly, it was a blast. Faults and all.
- 10:00 AM: The Train Ride of Reflection. Back on the Shinkansen. I'm wearing the same clothes as I arrived in, hoping everyone thinks I'm a stylish minimalist. The mountains recede into the distance. I’m already planning my return, even as I'm slightly traumatized.
- 12:00 PM: Departure.
- 1:00 PM: Arrival back at home (slightly less stressed than I have been in awhile).
This is not a perfect itinerary. It's a document of adventure, a series of mistakes, hilarious moments, and the lingering aroma of tempura. And that, my friends, is a perfectly imperfect way to spend a trip to Japan. Cheers!
Dream Midtown Escape: Hyatt's U.S. Oasis Awaits!Unbelievable Japan: Otakamori Kanko Hotel - Seriously?! FAQ (Because Wow, Where Do We Even Start?)
Okay, so... Otakamori Kanko Hotel? Is it REALLY as 'hidden luxury' as they say? Because my bank account's screaming right now.
Alright, buckle up, buttercup. "Hidden luxury?" Yeah, kinda. But let's be real, it's more like "luxury that's *cleverly* hidden, and might require a second mortgage." I mean, driving up that winding mountain road? You *think* you're going to get lost and end up at some farmer's house. (Almost did, actually. My GPS, bless its little digital heart, had a total meltdown.) Then, BAM! There it is. And, yes, the view? Absolutely breathtaking. Worth the near-death experience on the roads alone. The rooms? Stunning. You're paying for the view, the peace, the utter remoteness... and the fact that probably very few of your Instagram followers have been there. (Bragging rights: guaranteed). Is it *worth* it? That's a question only your wallet can answer. But... I'd say... leaning toward yes. Just maybe sneak in some instant ramen for some late-night snacking, because, let's be honest, those tiny little Japanese breakfast portions leave you wanting... more.
What's the deal with the onsen (hot springs)? Are they... you know... awkward?
Awkward? Oh, honey, that's practically the *definition* of the onsen experience for a first-timer. Remember, it's all natural, and you're basically going naked with strangers. First time, I was *mortified.* I spent about five minutes just staring at the towel, wondering if I could somehow fashion a tactical, strategically placed wrap. (Spoiler: You can't. It's not allowed.) Then, you're supposed to... *clean* yourself. Thoroughly. With, like, a tiny little stool and a bucket. It's an art form. Seriously. I watched the locals, totally Zen, and tried to mimic their moves. Ended up splashing water everywhere. And the water? Glorious! So incredibly relaxing. Just try not to make too much eye contact with anyone... unless you enjoy that sort of thing. But eventually, you'll just... embrace the ridiculousness of it all and just… be naked in a mineral bath. The feeling? Pure bliss. The memory? Priceless. Well, maybe a little embarrassing.
The food! Is it all just tiny servings of weird things I can't pronounce?
Tiny servings? Yes. Weird things you can't pronounce? Also, yes. But... oh my god, the *flavor*! Okay, so, the first night? I got a seaweed dish that looked suspiciously green and slimy. My face probably said, "RUN!" – but I ate it. And it was... surprisingly delicious. They give you this elaborate Kaiseki dinner, and each tiny dish is just a work of art. It's like a culinary ballet. You’ll get things you've never heard of. Sea urchin, anyone? And some things are just... puzzling. Like this tiny little fish, cooked whole, head and all. (Looked me right in the eye! Creepy.) But, the flavors are so subtle and amazing. You'll find yourself trying things you *swore* you’d never eat. And then, you'll be sad when it's all over and you're back to your plain old eggs and toast. I kinda wanted to grab a burger on the way out. (Don't tell the chef!)
What about the staff? Are they super formal and stuffy like in the movies?
Okay, the staff... That's where the "hidden" part of "luxury" really shines. Yes, they are polite. Yes, they bow. A lot. And yes, they speak limited English (or, in my case, my limited Japanese). However, there's a genuine warmth that shines through. They're incredibly attentive, anticipating your every need. I remember dropping a chopstick (clumsy me!), and before I could even *think* about reaching for another, there was a new one, placed perfectly. That level of service... it's almost unsettling at first because you're so used to just fending for yourself. But you get used to it, and it's fantastic. They're not stuffy; they're genuinely wanting to help. Just try not to spill your green tea on the tatami mats... you'd probably break some unspoken rule and my stomach will clench for you.
Tell me about *the view!* Is it really as spectacular as the pictures? I mean, the internet lies, you know.
Okay, the *view*. Let me tell you about the view. The internet *rarely* lies...in this respect. The pictures? They're pretty. But the *experience*? It's something else entirely. I swear, first time I walked onto my balcony, my jaw actually *dropped*. The way the mountains stretch out, the mist rolling through the valleys... it's like a painting. The color of the sky changes every minute, from the brilliant sunrise, to the golden afternoons and then the twilight, it makes you feel something. *Something* deep, and... and... Oh it's kind of spiritual. I'm not even a "spiritual" person! But you just feel this sense of...everything. You can't help but stop and breathe. And watch. And then you just sit there. For hours. I think I spent about three hours just staring at the view the first day. Completely unproductive! But utterly, completely, and irrevocably worth it. It's the kind of view that makes you want to write poetry (even if you can’t write poetry). That view alone is enough to justify the cost. Seriously. That view… I’m already mentally planning my return.
Any tips for navigating the whole “Japanese cultural experience” thing? I'm terrified of making a fool of myself.
Okay, so, Japanese culture... it's a beautiful, complex, slightly bewildering tapestry. My biggest tip? Embrace the potential for looking like a complete idiot. Seriously. It's going to happen. You *will* mess up chopsticks. You *will* forget to take your shoes off at the right time. (I walked all the way through someone's house in my boots *once* and almost died of embarrassment!) You *will* accidentally slurp your noodles too loudly (they'll probably love it, though). Relax! The Japanese are incredibly polite and forgiving. A sincere apology goes a long way. Learning a few basic phrases? Absolutely essential. "Konnichiwa," "Arigato," "Sumimasen" (so, so important). And for heaven's sake, *try*. They appreciate the effort. If you can’t, just smile. A lot. That, and pack comfortable shoes for all the bowing you're gonna do. You'll be surprised how quickly you adapt. And just remember: they're probably used to clumsy tourists. It's like a rite of passage.